In anticipation of the release of the detective RPG Pentiment, developers from the Obsidian Entertainment studio presented a ten-minute video diary, in which they told new details and demonstrated a lot of fresh footage of the game process.
- Since the game is built around a plot, rather than a mechanic, the authors seized the opportunity to show as many different strange things as possible that took place in the Middle Ages, as well as the various changes in society that began to occur in the 16th century;.
- The graphics in the game are not actually fully two-dimensional, but hybrid all the characters’ heads are rendered in 3D. This is done to make it easier for authors to implement animation of the numerous facial expressions of the characters;.
- The game has no voice acting, and therefore different fonts were used for the texts, which would emphasize the character of a particular character. The fonts even had to be animated – the concept required it. The designers wanted the dialogue to feel like the characters were writing to the player.
- Pentiment has a few mini-games. One of them would require cutting cookies into different shapes in order to make as much of the treat as possible from one layer of dough. Others involve solving puzzles and deciphering texts, there is also at least one card game;.
- A detailed map and detailed log will help you explore the world and track plot lines;.
- The music for the game was written by the band Alchemie, who specialize in traditional musical instruments and often use them in creating modern tracks. For the Pentiment soundtrack, they changed their approach and wrote authentic compositions in a classical style.
The plot of the new creation of Josh Sawyer, who in the past acted as game director Icewind Dale II, Fallout: New Vegas and the diology Pillars of Eternity, takes place in the territory of Bavaria in the XVI century. The player takes on the role of artist Andreas Maler, who gets involved in the murder investigation. The game will span three decades, allowing the player to fully appreciate the consequences of their decisions.
Pentiment is set to be released on November 14 for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.